Jeffrey R. Schmitt
Print Bio Vcard
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Jeff Schmitt is an experienced advisor for individuals, closely-held businesses, lenders, and insurers in a variety of legal matters and lawsuits. He advises clients proactively to minimize risk and works strategically to reach the most desirable outcomes for clients.
Real Estate. Representing property owners, contractors, lenders, and homeowner associations, Jeff has an acute understanding of property and construction-related matters, including: construction disputes; contract negotiation and disputes: title; lending; liens; property easements; and indentures.
Jeff regularly represents the interests of community associations in neighborhood, condominium, and townhome developments to best equip their trustees and foster cohesive and successful communities. He is also the head of the firm’s Title Litigation practice group.
Banking and Finance. Jeff advises and supports lenders regarding all types of lending activities including asset-based and cash flow loans, commercial mortgage loans, and equipment. His experience includes evaluating potential collateral interests, identifying risk, and documenting the entire loan transaction. When unavoidable, Jeff represents lenders and creditors in loan restructuring, workouts, bankruptcies, and foreclosures. He also defends banks in lender liability claims.
Litigation. Jeff has the courtroom experience to provide wise counsel to clients on when to assert their rights, leading them through litigation if necessary. Jeff litigates business and commercial disputes, title claims, professional negligence defense, and probate and fiduciary claims. Jeff has represented numerous clients in state appeals and Federal appellate courts, including successfully arguing Naylor Senior Citizens Housing, LP, et al. v. Sides Construction Company, Inc., et al. before the Missouri Supreme Court.
Pension and Retirement Plans. Representing public pension and retirement plans in disputes, Jeff has succeeded in compelling proper funding of plans to ensure long-term availability of benefits for employees and beneficiaries through litigation and negotiation. He also represents plan trustees and administrators in defending against claims arising from their fiduciary duties to the plan.
Highly respected by his peers, Jeff was recognized by The Missouri Bar Young Lawyers’ Section as a “Young Lawyer You Should Know” (2010). Jeff has also been selected as a Missouri & Kansas Rising Star from 2011-2017 by Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters publication.
Jeff formerly served as president and board member for the Clayton Chamber of Commerce in Clayton, Missouri.
PUBLICATIONS & SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
Author (a sampling):
- “You Can’t Do That Anymore: Establishing and Limiting Non-Conforming Uses in Missouri,” Missouri Environmental Law and Policy Review
- No Vacancy–When Bed & Breakfasts Run Afoul of Condominium Communities
- Missouri Supreme Court Upholds Foreclosure Laws
- “Developments in Electronic Discovery” (2008, 2009) and “Business Torts Litigation” (2006, 2007), chapters in Developments in Business and Corporate Litigation, American Bar Association
- Clayton Chamber of Commerce, former president and board member
- Graduate of Leadership Clayton, 2006
- Lutheran Church of the Resurrection, former board member
- Lutheran Elementary School Association (LESA), board member
- J.D., University of Missouri-Columbia School of Law (2003)
- B.A., magna cum laude, St. Louis University (2000), Dean’s List, Certificate in Modern and Classical Language (French), Recipient of Psi Chi Research Award (National Honor Society in Psychology)
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC) Trial Academy (2007)
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers (MODL) Trial Academy (2005)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- The Missouri Bar
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Transportation Lawyers Association (TLA)
- National Association of Public Pension Attorneys (NAPPA)
- Community Associations Institute (CAI) Heartland Chapter
- Missouri Bankers Association
- Missouri & Kansas Rising Stars, 2011-2017
- “Young Lawyer You Should Know” (2010), The Missouri Bar Young Lawyers’ Section
Navigating the Emerging Industrial Lease Market: What You Should KnowWhile the national real estate landscape is evolving and som... Read more »
Should Your Contracts Anticipate Another Pandemic?The widespread impact of the COVID-19 pandemic caused many b... Read more »
Does Business Interruption Insurance Cover COVID-19 Losses?Authored by Jeffrey R. Schmitt, with assistance from Haley E... Read more »
- Jeff Schmitt Discusses Navigating the Emerging Industrial Lease MarketJeff Schmitt discusses the shift of converting commercial office space to industrial use in the April 2023 issue of the St. Louis Small Business Monthly. Read more »
- Jeff Schmitt Discusses If Your Contracts Should Anticipate Another PandemicJeff Schmitt discusses if your contracts should anticipate another pandemic in the November 2022 issue of the St. Louis Small Business Monthly. Read more »
- Jeff Schmitt Discusses Business Interruption Insurance Coverage and COVID-19Jeff Schmitt discusses business interruption insurance coverage of COVID-19 losses in the September issue of the St. Louis Small Business Monthly. Read more »
- Danna McKitrick Attorney Jeff Schmitt Named to 2017 Missouri Rising StarsJeffrey R. SchmittAttorney at Law Jeffrey R. Schmitt Read more »
- Danna McKitrick Attorney Jeff Schmitt Named to 2016 Missouri Rising StarsJeffrey R. Schmitt has been named to the 2016 Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers & Rising Stars list. Read more »
- Jeff Schmitt on Considerations for Short-term Rentals via Internet OutletsJeff Schmitt, real estate attorney with Danna McKitrick, P.C., spoke... Read more »
- Attorney Jeff Schmitt on Neighbor DisputesAttorney Jeff Schmitt recently spoke with the Ladue News about disputes between neighbors Read more »
- Attorney Jeff Schmitt Argues Successfully Before Missouri Supreme CourtJeffrey R. Schmitt, litigation attorney with Danna McKitrick, P.C. Read more »
- Jeff Schmitt Appointed Head of Danna McKitrick's Title Litigation PracticeSaint Louis, MO – February 3, 2012 – Jeffrey R. Schmitt, a principal at Danna McKitrick, P.C., has recently been appointed head of the firm's Read more »
- Schmitt Gives Chamber's Perspective on Positive Changes in Clayton Business DistrictAttorney Jeff Schmitt commented on the goals of the Clayton Chamber of Commerce to increase business in Clayton's central business district. Read more »
- Clayton Chamber of Commerce Appoints Schmitt PresidentSt. Louis, MO – Danna McKitrick, P.C. attorney, Jeffrey R. Schmitt is the newest president of the Clayton Chamber of Commerce effective January 2011 Read more »
- Jeffrey R. Schmitt Promoted to PrincipalSt. Louis, MO – Jan. 3, 2011 – Danna McKitrick is pleased to announce Jeffrey R. Schmitt has been elected to the position of principal. Read more »
- Brentwood-based KV Directors, Officers Will Repay $3 MillionJeff Schmitt and James Heffner among plaintiffs' attorneys representing KV Pharmaceutical. Read more »
- Jeff Schmitt Appointed to Clayton Chamber of Commerce Board of DirectorsClayton, MO – Danna McKitrick attorney Jeffrey Schmitt is appointed to a three-year term on the board of directors Read more »
- Marc Hermelin Forfeiting KV Options in SettlementThe shareholders are represented by Jeffrey Schmitt and James Heffner of Danna McKitrick PC in Clayton… Read more »
- Jeff Schmitt Graduates Leadership Clayton Class of 2006St. Louis, MO – Danna McKitrick attorney, Jeff Schmitt, one of 18 people comprising Clayton Chamber of Commerce Leadership Clayton 2006 graduating class Read more »