Ruth A. Binger
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Ruth Binger advises entrepreneurs who found family-owned, closely held, or multi-national companies. Ruth’s clients fall mainly into these industries: manufacturing and distribution, professional services firms (including marketing, web development, and software development), transportation, and retail. She provides counsel on employment issues, intellectual property, digital law, cybersecurity, and corporate structure and governance, guiding her clients to preventive solutions.
In addition to her work with her clients, Ruth facilitates several independent business owner peer advisory boards.
Due to her experience representing businesses and facilitating the advisory boards, Ruth’s clients look to her for the most appropriate and effective legal strategy.
A leader in the firm, Ruth heads Danna McKitrick’s transactional group. This group includes mergers and acquisition transactions, tax, employment, cybersecurity, banking, intellectual property, real estate finance, international law, securities, business and commercial law, securities, and dispute resolution. She is also a marketing co-chair and recently served on the executive committee.
Corporate and Business. Guiding clients on formation, structure, governance and exit strategies, Ruth also crafts and reviews contracts for licensors/licensees, franchisees, consulting, and joint venture agreements.
Intellectual Property and Digital Law. Ruth works in the ever-evolving arena of intellectual property and digital law. She handles trademark and copyright registration, and enforcement and related transactions, including joint ventures, licensing, and corporate partnering. Ruth counsels clients on privacy, advertising and communication law with respect to social media advertising on the web. She also helps clients create and implement strategies and solutions for industry-specific data privacy, usage, and cybersecurity protection obligations.
Employment. Ruth has extensive experience in the mitigation, avoidance, and resolution of employment and labor issues. Ruth provides proactive counsel and advice to her clients, including preparation of employment manuals, noncompete agreements, confidentiality agreements, employment agreements, human resource legal strategy, intellectual property protection agreements, and executive incentive plans.
Ruth was honored as a 2019 "Most Influential Women in Business" by the St. Louis Business Journal.
PUBLICATIONS & SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Author (a sampling):
- Is a LinkedIn Offer to Connect a Violation of a Non-Solicitation/Anti-Raiding Agreement?
- When Bad Guys Attack: Data Breach and Legal Exposure
- When Bad Guys Attack Small to Mid-Sized Businesses: 20 Data Protection Tips
- Best Practices for Avoiding Misleading Browsewrap and Clickwrap Agreements in Cyberspace
- Exempt Employees, Overtime, and the Proposed DOL Rule for 2016
- Protecting Your Intellectual Property in a Wild World
- Common Sense Road Map to Employee Discipline and Termination
- Considerations for Buyer Enforcement of Non-competes in the Purchase of a Business
- Employee Social Media Griping: Can An Employer Terminate Employees Because of Their Social Media Posts Without Violating Section 8(a)(1) of the National Labor Relations Act
- Panel Member/Moderator:
- Co-author: “Cyber Space for Rent,” St. Louis Small Business Monthly
- Speaker (sampling):
- Intellectual Property Issues For Your Organization
- Recruiting Issues for Executives
- Compensation Issues for Executives
- The Trojan Horse of Social Media: Threats & Solutions in the IP and HR Area
- Social Media, IP and Employment – Permanent Records of Temporary Impulses
- Minefields in Employment Law
- What Every Supervisor Should Know: Maintaining a Legally Compliant Work Environment
- J.D., DePaul University School of Law (1983), DePaul Law Review
- B.S., Northern Illinois University (1980)
- U.S. District Courts, Eastern District of Missouri
- American Bar Association: Business Law Section, Intellectual Property Section, Labor & Employment Law Section
- The Missouri Bar
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Associated Industries of Missouri, board member
- St. Louis RCGA, former director
- “Hero in Small Business,” St. Louis Small Business Monthly
- St. Louis RCGA Pacesetter Award
- 2008 "Lawyer’s Lawyer Award," 10th Annual Women’s Justice Awards, St. Louis Daily Record
- “40 Under 40” Award, St. Louis Business Journal
- BioGenerator Client Appreciation Award (2005)
- 2019 "Most Influential Women in Business," St. Louis Business Journal
Ruth Binger Talks About Response to COVID-19 PandemicRuth Binger talks with John Launius, President of Vidzu Medi... Read more »
Manufacturers Are Stepping Up to Produce Personal Protective EquipmentManufacturers across the country have started repurposing or... Read more »
- Ruth Binger Mentioned by AIM's Voice of Missouri Business on Manufacturing PPEAIM mentions Ruth Binger's article on manufacturers and person protection devices during COVID-19. Read more »
- Ruth Binger Honored as a 2019 Most Influential Business WomanRuth A. Binger has been named as a 2019 "Most Influential Business Woman" by the St. Louis Business Journal. Read more »
- Danna McKitrick and AIM Recognized by Missouri Lt. Governor for "Buy Missouri" trademark workMissouri Lieutenant Governor recognizes Danna McKitrick and Associated Industries of Missouri Read more »
- Ruth Binger Discusses Factors to Consider Before Establishing an Employee Arbitration ProgramRuth Binger discusses factors to consider when deciding if your company should add an employee arbitration clause. Read more »
- Ruth Binger on When Bad Guys Attack Businesses: Missouri Data Breach and Legal ExposureRuth Binger discusses data breaches and legal exposure in Missouri. Read more »
- Cyber Awareness Panel presented by Danna McKitrick and Associated Industries of MissouriDanna McKitrick, P.C. recently joined Associated Industries of Missouri (AIM) in sponsoring a video webinar on cyber awareness and cybersecurity. Read more »
- Ruth Binger Publishes International IP Article in InterBusiness IssuesRuth Binger, corporate law attorney with Danna McKitrick, P.C., recently... Read more »
- Ruth Binger on Lack of an Exit Plan: Missouri Enterprise"Lack of an Exit Plan = Dead Company Walking," an... Read more »
- Binger on Social Media Best Practices for Construction TradeCorporate law and digital media law attorney Ruth Binger‘s article... Read more »
- Ruth Binger Shares Insight on Discovery of Lies After HiringSt. Louis Small Business Monthly recently ran a "Board of Directors" column titled "How do I handle an employee who lied in the interview process?" Read more »
- The Future and Success of Small Businesses Discussed in St. Louis Post-Dispatch with Ruth BingerSt. Louis Post-Dispatch interviewed Ruth Binger in an article entitled, "Five Questions: Ruth A. Binger, lawyer and adviser to small businesses." Read more »
- Ruth Binger Named "Top Lawyer" by St. Louis Small Business MonthlySt. Louis, MO, February 3, 2010 – Ruth Binger, a principal of Clayton-based law firm Danna McKitrick, P.C. Read more »
- Ruth Binger Quoted in St. Louis Business Journal Discussing Midsize Law FirmsThe St. Louis Business Journal interviewed Ruth Binger in an article discussing how midsized Read more »
- Associated Industries of Missouri to Host Employment ConferenceSt. Louis, MO – The 2009 Human Resources and Employment Law Conference will include government agencies Read more »
- Ruth Binger Featured in "49 St. Louis Business Secrets Revealed"She has been helping entrepreneurs for over 25 years through CEO roundtables and business law advice. Read more »
- Good Fit, Rapport Key to Finding the Right Legal RelationshipIt's about getting to know the person and the firm he or she works for, said Ruth Binger Read more »
- Ruth A. Binger Named To Danna McKitrick's Executive CommitteeClayton, MO – Ruth A. Binger is elected to the executive committee of law firm Danna Read more »
- Protecting Innovation, an Enormous Growth Area For Local Law FirmsBinger's goal is bringing a business perspective to a medical field. Read more »
- BioGenerator and BioGenerator Clients Recognize Danna McKitrick with Awards for ServiceLAW FIRM RECEIVES "APPRECIATION AWARD" FROM CLIENTS AND "MOST PRO... Read more »