Misty A. Watson
Misty Watson focuses her practice on estate planning and administration including probate. She counsels individuals, families, and business owners in the creation of trusts, wills, financial and health care powers of attorney, guardianships, and conservatorships. She also guides trustees through the complexities of the trust administration process.
Addressing families' planning needs began with Misty's background in social work. Carrying this experience into her law career allows her to craft approaches that preserve wealth and autonomy while remaining sensitive to individual needs of family members.
Estate Planning. A sound knowledge of estate planning alternatives, tax planning, and business relationships underlies Misty’s approach to estate planning. With a high level of care, she counsels people as they consider important personal, legal, and financial decisions in estate planning, and estate and trust administration.
Special Needs Trusts. Misty is especially well-versed in setting up special needs trusts that qualify persons with special needs for vital government benefits such as Medicaid and Social Security. Each trust is highly-individualized to assure families achieve the day-to-day and long-term arrangements that are in the best interest of their family member with special needs.
Misty is a Washington University School of Law Women's Law Caucus International Women's Day 2013 Celebration Honoree. Watson was honored for her work as a volunteer lawyer at Legal Services of Eastern Missouri (LSEM) and as co-founder of the Guardianship and Older Adult Life Planning Project (GOAL Planning Project), a new project offered by LSEM in conjunction with Washington University School of Law. The GOAL Planning Project provides legal assistance for those seeking guardianship over another individual and assists individuals age 60 and above with preparing life planning documents, such as wills, living wills, or durable powers of attorney, and medical care directives.
Misty was also recognized by The Missouri Bar at the Gold Level for providing pro bono services to the community.
Prior to joining Danna McKitrick, Misty clerked with a mid-sized law firm and with two agencies: Georgia Legal Services and LSEM. At LSEM, she worked with the Children’s Alliance Department helping families navigate the application of Individualized Educational Plans (IEPs) within various school districts.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
Presenter: Misty delivers presentations to various organizations on a variety of estate planning topics, including:
- Estate Planning for the 21st Century
- Planning for Family Members with Special Needs
- Asset Protection Planning
- Women’s Perspective on Estate Planning
- Guardianships and Conservatorships
- Proper Titling of Fiduciary Accounts
Author: “Planning for the Future” special needs community newsletter
Contributing Author: Beyond The Fine Print blog
Co-author: “Involuntary Detention for Mental Illness,” St. Louis Bar Journal.
Instructor: “Women and the Law,” Washington University, College of Arts & Sciences.
- LL.M. in Taxation, Washington University School of Law (2011)
- J.D., Washington University School of Law (2006), Order of the Barristers, Dean’s list, Scholars in Law Award, Family Law Society, vice president; Alternative Dispute Resolution Society, president; Wiley Rutledge Moot Court, semi-finalist; American Bar Association Mediation Competition, regional coordinator; Women’s Law Caucus
- B.S.W., East Central University (2001)
- Estate Planning Council
- The Women Lawyers’ Association of Greater St. Louis
- The Missouri Bar: Probate and Trust Committee; Elder Law Committee; Family Law Committee; Education Law Committee
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis: Young Lawyers Division; Pro Bono Committee, chair
- Foster and Adoptive Care Coalition, board member
- Legal Services of Eastern Missouri
- SLARC Young Friends, Development & Donor Cultivation co-chair
- Washington University School of Law Women's Law Caucus International Women's Day 2013 Celebration Honoree
- Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, John R. Essner Award
- 2014 Foster and Adoptive Care Coalition Volunteer of the Year - Junior Board