Michael J. McKitrick
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Mike McKitrick brings strategies and problem-solving to businesses by applying perspective and wisdom gleaned from many years of practicing in both transactional law and commercial litigation. This duality allows Mike to introduce significant insights and preventative strategies in day-to-day operations.
Corporate. Mike serves large and small businesses as outsourced general counsel, providing advice and assistance as legal issues arise. He guides in structuring and negotiating business transactions, financial transactions and loan documentation, risk analysis and prevention, and regulatory issues.
Trusts and Estates. As a trusted advisor, Mike works with clients to plan and implement their estate distributions. He also works to resolve issues involving owners, trustees, and beneficiaries of trusts.
Mike represented the plaintiff beneficiary in Tidrow v. Director, Missouri State Division of Family Services which established the viability of supplement support trusts in Missouri.
Real Estate. Representing investors and owners, Mike is seasoned in the legal aspects of commercial and residential real estate transactions. He handles purchase, sale, and lease negotiations. He also resolves title issues, breaches of contract, partition disputes, licenses, easements, and indentures.
Mike models his personal service philosophy of “abilities”: availability, affability, and ability. His persistence and desire to understand and deal successfully with a variety of people have been core in the growth of his legal practice.
After law school, Mike served as a 1st Lieutenant in the U.S. Army.
Recent Representative Transactions:
- Represented educational and health care institutions in bond financing projects
- Represented purchaser in acquisition of substantial transportation business
- Represented trustee in complex trust modification action
- SLARC: Human Rights Committee, former Professional Advisory Board member
- J.D., with distinction, College of Law University of Iowa (1973), Iowa Law Review Board of Editors
- B.A., with distinction, Northern Illinois University (1970)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- The Missouri Bar
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, former chair Real Estate and Development Committee of Business Law Section
- Missouri Bankers Association
- Estate Planning Council of St. Louis
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- 2014 “Top 100 St. Louisans to Know to Succeed in Business” honoree, St. Louis Small Business Monthly
Recent Illinois and Missouri Supreme Court Decisions Reduce Litigation Risks of Companies Operating in Multiple StatesAuthored by Michael J. McKitrick with contribution from Davi... Read more »
Four Points to Follow When Your Lease Term is EndingYour lease may be the most important asset of your business.... Read more »