James M. Heffner
James Heffner is a principal with the firm’s transactional practice group, concentrating on banking and finance, corporate, and real estate law.
Real Estate. Representing lenders, contractors, developers, homeowner/condo associations, landlords, and tenants, James handles matters relating to the purchase, sale, financing, and leasing of properties. James represents lenders, investors, and developers in a variety of tax incentives programs including the use of state historic rehabilitation credits.
Banking and Finance. James routinely advises and supports banks regarding all types of lending activities including real estate, construction, asset-based and cash flow loans, agri-business, commercial mortgage loans for portfolio lenders, tax-incentivized projects, and equipment. His legal experience in the financial service industry involves securitization of receivables, re-collateralizing issues, restructuring, workouts, and commercial foreclosures.
Corporate. James drafts, negotiates, and closes a variety of transactions including: mergers, asset purchases, stock purchases, and stock redemptions. He supports business owners in entity structuring, shareholder agreements or disputes, and general corporate governance.
James was named to the 2015 and 2016 Best Mergers & Acquisitions Providers lists by St. Louis Small Business Monthly, honoring the best advisors for business owners in the St. Louis metro area. He was also selected as a 2013 Missouri & Kansas Rising Star by Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters publication.
PUBLICATIONS & SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
Author (a sampling):
- “Control Agreements from the Secured Party’s Perspective – Perfecting Security Interests in a Securities Account“
- “10 Essential Lease Traps & Tips for Small Business Owners“
- “How Long Should You Stay in Your Commercial Lease?“
- “I’ve Formed My Company, So Now What?“
- “The Future of Application Service Providers,” American Bar Association
- “Cyber Space for Rent,” St. Louis Small Business Monthly
Speaker (a sampling):
- “Real Estate Financing”
- “Bank Workouts and Foreclosures”
- 11th Annual Landlord-Tenant Law Seminar, co-presenter, Sterling Education Services, July 2012
- Cardinal Glennon Children’s Medical Center Development former board member
- Webster Groves Board of Adjustment, former board member
- J.D., Saint Louis University School of Law (2005), Academic Excellence Award—Land Use Control, Civil Practice
- B.A., with honors, University of Missouri-Columbia (2002), University of Missouri-Columbia Excellence Award, Dean’s List, Chancellor’s Scholarship, Tom Berenger Award for Academic Excellence, Delta Upsilon
- German Proficiency Certificate, Universität Tuebingen (2002)
- Certificate Program in Economic Development: Saint Louis University, Urban Land Institute, St. Louis County Economic Council, St. Louis Development Council
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- The Missouri Bar
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Saint Louis University School of Law Alumni Association
- University of Missouri-Columbia Alumni Association
- Community Associations Institute (CAI) Heartland Chapter
- Missouri Bankers Association, Bank Counsel Advisory Board
- Missouri Venture Forum, board member
- Risk Management Association (RMA)
- Graduate of Leadership Clayton (2009)
- Multiple Sclerosis Society, Corporate Achievers Leadership Award
- Missouri & Kansas Rising Stars, 2013
- 2015 & 2016 “Best M&A Providers” honoree, Small Business Monthly
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau releases Supervision and Examination ManualEstablished in 2010 by Title X of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street... Read more »
- James Heffner Again Named One of Best M&A AdvisorsJames M. Heffner has been named one of the 2016... Read more »
- Attorney James Heffner Interviewed on State of Attorneys in St. LouisJames Heffner, real estate law and banking and financial law... Read more »