A. Thomas DeWoskin
Print Bio Vcard
Tom DeWoskin has practiced in the field of bankruptcy and general insolvency law for more than 40 years. He leads the firm’s bankruptcy and creditor’s rights practice group. Tom also served as a bankruptcy trustee in the Eastern District of Missouri for most of his career.
Tom believes that getting to know his clients, their business and their goals is important in delivering efficient and effective representation. Tom is committed to the success of small to medium-sized businesses. He understands that many factors contribute to the success of a business, and his understanding of the many issues which contribute to that success enable him to deliver top-notch representation to his clients.
He has represented:
- Debtors in Chapter 11 reorganization cases in various industries.
- Debtors in complex Chapter 7 liquidation cases.
- Debtors in out-of-court workouts.
- Secured and unsecured creditors in both Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 cases.
- Creditors’ Committees in Chapter 11 cases.
- Other bankruptcy trustees.
- Purchasers of assets out of Chapter 11 cases.
Additionally, Tom has served as receiver in the Missouri state courts.
As a result of his experience in all aspects of the area, Tom is better able to understand the positions of all sides and therefore negotiate more effectively. Whatever the nature of the counsel he provides, his goal is to protect his clients’ interests by developing thoughtful, cost-effective solutions to their needs.
Well regarded in his field, Tom has written articles on various bankruptcy and commercial law topics for general and professional publications. He speaks before a variety of professional groups and local, state and national legal associations.
Tom was named to the 2022 Top 100 POWER List for Bankruptcy Law and the 2021 POWER List for Bankruptcy Law by Missouri Lawyers Media.
PUBLICATIONS & SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- “Bankruptcy,” Missouri Creditor’s-Debtor’s Remedies Deskbook, Chapter 10 and subsequent supplements.
- “Stays,” Missouri Practice Deskbook, Chapter 7.
- 2016-17 Multiple presentations on the new Missouri Commercial Receivership Act
- 2015 Annual Missouri Bar Solo and Small Firm Conference
- 2012 Annual Missouri Bar Bankruptcy Institute
- 2011 Annual Missouri Bar Bankruptcy Institute
- “Interaction of Real Estate Law and Bankruptcy Law,” 2006 Annual Missouri Bar Real Estate Institute
- J.D., University of Pennsylvania (1976)
- B.A., with high honors, University of Michigan (1973), Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri and Southern District of Illinois
- The Missouri Bar
- Turnaround Management Association, former board member
- 2022 Top 100 POWER List - Bankruptcy Law, Missouri Lawyers Media
- 2021 POWER List for Bankruptcy Law, Missouri Lawyers Media
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
Before You Personally Guarantee a Business Loan, Read ThisMost small businesses owners have borrowed money to start an... Read more »
Getting Through Chapter 11 – Part Two: Plan of ReorganizationPart 5.2 of a 5-part series: Options for Small Business Owne... Read more »
Getting Through Chapter 11 – Part One: After FilingPart 5.1 of a 5-part series: Options for Small Business Owne... Read more »
- Tom DeWoskin Discusses What to Consider Before You Personally Guarantee a Business LoanTom DeWoskin discusses things to consider before you personally guarantee a business loan the March Legal Matters column of the St. Louis Small Business Monthly. Read more »
- Tom DeWoskin Named to 2022 POWER List for Bankruptcy LawTom DeWoskin was named to the 2022 Top 100 POWER List for Bankruptcy Law by Missouri Lawyers Media. Read more »
- Tom DeWoskin Appointed as Receiver for Shaun Hayes’ Partnership InterestsTom DeWoskin, an attorney with Danna McKitrick P.C.’s Bankruptcy and... Read more »
- Attorney Tom DeWoskin on the Sale of TV Stations in Roberts Brothers Bankruptcy CaseBoth the St. Louis Post-Distpatch via stltoday.com and the St..... Read more »
- Attorney Tom DeWoskin on the Risk of Bankruptcy for the City of St. LouisA. Thomas DeWoskin, bankruptcy attorney with Danna McKitrick, P.C., discussed... Read more »
- Fewer Business Bankruptcies in St. Louis: Bankruptcy Attorney Tom DeWoskin's PerspectiveTom DeWoskin, a seasoned bankruptcy attorney with over three decades of experience, weighs in on the dramatic decrease Read more »
- DeWoskin Comments on Chemical Building SituationBankruptcy attorney Tom DeWoskin remains hopeful Chemical Building Acquisition LLC can yet obtain crucial financing for renovating historical downtown St. Louis building. Read more »
- Tom DeWoskin Comments on Effect of Economy on Small BusinessUnfortunately, one of Tom DeWoskin's clients needs to file for Chapter 11 reorganization. Read more »
- Attorneys Mixed Over Mortgage Modification"This will especially help those who were making payments but then after an illness or getting laid off Read more »
- New Bankruptcy Law Produces Unforeseen Results, Experts SayTom DeWoskin talked about the disparity in the application of the means test. "So whether or not I have to pass the means test is determined by the size of my house. Read more »