Joseph R. Soraghan
Joe Soraghan practices in legal matters pertaining to business operations and growth. His practical experience in law and finance adds significantly to the management team within any size business. He guides businesses in financing, contracts, acquisitions/mergers and sales, resolving disputes, and assists clients in offering securities and in complying with state and U.S. securities laws.
Joe is dedicated to helping emerging companies with growth issues, financing, franchise law compliance, and protecting their businesses. He educates entrepreneurs about structuring and obtaining seed-stage and other financing.
In addition to business law, Joe is an experienced litigator and a strong believer in alternative dispute resolution. He serves on the mediation and arbitration panels of the American Arbitration Association, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, and the New York Stock Exchange.
In more traditional litigation approaches, he has argued cases before Missouri and federal trial and appellate courts, including the Supreme Court of Missouri. Representative cases include securities/ investment law compliance, product licensing/production issues, and partnership disputes.
The U.S. Small Business Association honored Joe with the Financial Services Champion, Region VII award in 2005. St. Louis Small Business Monthly selected him as a 2009 Top St. Louis Entrepreneurial Lawyer and as one of the 2011 “100 St. Louisans You Should Know." Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuter’s rating service, named Joe to its list as one of the top attorneys in Missouri in 2010, 2011 and 2012.
After law school, Joe served in the U.S. Navy aboard submarines. A reserve officer for 20+ years following active duty, he served as commanding officer of six reserve commands.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
Presenter and panel member on topics including entrepreneurship and small business concerns for: The Missouri Bar, Lorman Education Services, Public Investors Arbitration Association, Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, and St. Louis IT Entrepreneur Network.
TV guest: "Missouri Venture Forum and Its Service to the Entrepreneur Community," Business Roundtable, Lindenwood University Television.
Adjunct professor of securities law, Washington University School of Law.
- LL.M., Yale University School of Law (1966)
- J.D., with honors, Order of the Coif, Washington University School of Law (1965)
- B.S., mechanical engineering, with honors, Purdue University (1962)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, mediator and arbitrator
- American Arbitration Association, mediator and arbitrator
- Association of Attorney-Mediators, St. Louis chapter
- Missouri Securities Advisory Commission
- American Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, former vice president, treasurer, secretary, section and committee chair
- St. Louis Capital Alliance, Management Committee
- Missouri Venture Forum: founding director, secretary, and former president; Executive, Governance, and Education Committees
- Children's Home Society of Missouri, former director
- National Senior Games Association, former director
- Navy League of the U.S., local general counsel (honorary)
- City of Kirkwood: Board of Adjustment, former chairman, Planning and Zoning Commission, secretary/treasurer, Comprehensive Plan Steering Committee
- Innovate St. Louis, mentor
- Information Technology Entrepreneur Network (ITEN), mentor
- Veterans Business Resource Center, Friends of the VBRC Committee
- Financial Services Champion, Region VII award, U.S. Small Business Association
- 2009 Top St. Louis Entrepreneurial Lawyer, Small Business Monthly
- 2011 “100 St. Louisans You Should Know" honoree, Small Business Monthly
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, 2010 - 2012
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell