Sophya Qureshi Raza
Sophya Qureshi Raza counsels people through family law matters such as divorce, establishing or modifying child custody and support orders, paternity cases, and establishing pre- and post-nuptial agreements. She is particularly experienced in helping those who have significant properties and business holdings.
Having litigated and negotiated hundreds of cases, Sophya resolves even highly-contentious situations. While she finds issues can be rectified effectively and efficiently outside of the courtroom, she vigorously represents clients in court when necessary. Sophya is experienced in collaborative family law and is an active member of the Collaborative Family Law Association of St. Louis.
Sophya helps families resolve crisis, but is also adept at helping families prevent crisis. She establishes legal guardianships and conservatorships for adults with disabilities, or elderly persons unable to continue making their own medical and financial decisions. An area in which she is uniquely qualified is assisting Muslim families as they integrate the specifics of Islamic law into American legal requirements, particularly with pre- and post-nuptial agreements.
In addition to leading Danna McKitrick's family law department, Sophya is involved in new associate development, including mentoring firm associates in marketing.
Sophya was named to the Missouri & Kansas Rising Star List in 2010 as selected by Super Lawyers.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
Presenter: “Divorce Survival Seminar,” Living Word Church. Co-presenter: "Untangling Legal Responsibilities and Patient Well-Being: Knowledge and Tools to Guide the Mental Health Practitioner," Care and Counseling, Inc. (Oct 2011; Part Two - May 2012); St. Louis Psychological Association (Feb 2011).
Author: "Divorce, Summer, Kids, and Vacations," MacaroniKids.com blog post. Co-author: “Family Law: Understanding It, Working Through It, Moving On.”
- J.D., Washington University School of Law (2002), Family Law Society, Women's Law Caucus, Associate Editor Washington University Law Quarterly, Alumni Relations Committee Co-chair
- B.A., George Washington University (1997)
- ABA Family Law Trial Advocacy Institute
- Mediation Certificate, Washington University School of Social Work
- American Bar Association, Family Law Section
- The Missouri Bar
- Collaborative Family Law Association of St. Louis
- Angels' Arms, former junior board member
- Girls Inc., Scholarship Committee
- Graduate of Leadership Clayton, 2008
- The International Institute, former board of directors
- Kids In the Middle, board member