Jeff’s Practice Areas
- Advertising, Promotions, Data Security &
Advertising - Data Collection & Privacy
Privacy & Security: U.S. & International
Promotions, Sweepstakes & Contests
- Entertainment Law
- Business Law
- Business Organizations
- Emerging Businesses
- Luxury Goods
- Media & Creative Services
- Manufacturing & Distributing
- Professional Services
- See Jeff's posts ...
Beyond the Fine Print Blog
Jeffrey L. Michelman
Jeffrey L. Michelman is involved in intellectual property management and litigation in the U.S. and abroad. He assists his clients with the development, acquisition, use and licensing of products and services under intellectual property law, particularly trademarks, copyrights, and proprietary computer software. Jeff also advises clients on legal issues regarding E-commerce and social networking activities as well as protection of trade secrets and “know-how.”
Jeff has substantial experience in entertainment law. He reviews his clients’ print and broadcast material for compliance with copyrights and trade regulations. He also manages his clients’ contracts for publicity and performance work, public appearances, endorsements, licensing, recording contracts, movie and TV options and development deals, and book publication.
Entertainment. Jeff’s experience in the entertainment field includes: endorsements contracts with A-list actors; recording contracts with Grammy Award-winning artists; reality TV productions; and contracts with Academy Award-nominated producers and American Idol contestants.
Intellectual Property Management and Litigation. Jeff participated in successful litigation before the Supreme Court of the United States regarding trademark matters and represented KangaROOS USA against numerous corporations around the world for patent infringement. He represented an entertainment conglomerate in trademark and copyright infringement suits against clothing manufacturers that were settled favorably. He also successfully represented distributors for The South Butt parody clothing line.
Jeff is a noted Sherlock Holmes authority, presenting monologues on the sleuth in his spare time.
Jeff holds the honor of being a decorated Captain in the United States Army.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
Speaker: Topics include intellectual property, e-Commerce, entertainment law, trade secrets, international contracts and negotiation techniques for business and professional organizations. Guest on local television and radio programs covering entertainment legal issues, Internet and e-Commerce law and other legal issue. Widely published author for legal and business journals.
Former adjunct professor of law: Washington University School of Law and Saint Louis University School of Law.
- J.D., with honors, Villanova University School of Law
- M.E., Washington University in St. Louis
- B.A., Pennsylvania State University
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- The Missouri Bar
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis: former chair, Public Contract Section; founder and former co-chair, E-Commerce and Computer Law Committee
- American Bar Association: former Midwest regional chair; former co-chair of Committee on Socio-Economic Regulations of the Public Contract Section
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- National Association of Television Arts and Sciences
- Recording Industry Association of America
- National Contract Management Association
- Inventors Association of St. Louis, former president
- Art St. Louis, former vice president
- Edison Theater, Washington University, former board member
- Leadership St. Louis, graduate