Richard F. Huck, III
Rich Huck’s significant business litigation experience includes more than 35 jury trials taken to verdict as lead trial counsel. He concentrates most often in construction, real estate, insurance, and professional liability matters. Also a seasoned mediator and arbitrator, Rich is the quiet voice of reason toward keeping clients happy and solvent in complicated legal scenarios.
Construction and Real Estate. He serves developers, investors, design professionals, general contractors, subcontractors, and construction material manufacturers. Rich’s counsel often pertains to contract and other disputes involving project delays and disruptions, cost overruns, defective design and/or construction, and mechanic’s liens. His experience extends to lender-borrower conflicts, commercial lease default issues, and disputes between condominium owner associations and developers.
Insurance. For both insurance companies and their clients, he resolves, and litigates if necessary, a variety of property, casualty, and liability coverage issues.
Professional Liability. Rich represents design professionals, usually through their insurers, when failures occur, a project stalls, or errors or omissions are alleged. He represents both plaintiffs and defendants in professional liability matters involving attorneys and insurance brokers.
Below are examples of outcomes from Rich’s efforts:
- After a multi-week trial in state court, obtained a complete defense judgment for the owner of an acrimonious industrial design-build construction project that lacked a written contract, and the general contractor walked off the project and asserted claims of approximately two million dollars.
- Acquired a federal court jury verdict for a general contractor on delay, disruption, and cost-overrun claims against the project owner in construction of a petroleum additive laboratory facility.
- Obtained a state court jury verdict against a St. Louis insurance broker for failing to secure appropriate hurricane coverage on a Palm Beach, Florida co-op apartment..
- Successfully defended construction material product manufacturer in state court jury trial of fraud and punitive damage claims arising out of design-related product defects.
- Represented a software company executive in multiple pieces of litigation against his former employer and its CEO in disputes involving compensation and stock option rights. The client prevailed on all claims, including a jury verdict for punitive damages against the CEO.
Prior to joining Danna McKitrick, Rich has been a partner since 1989 with two other leading St. Louis firms, one of which merged to become a regional firm.
- J.D., Saint Louis University School of Law (1982)
- B.A., politics, Washington & Lee
- U.S. District Courts, Eastern and Western Districts of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section & Forum on the Construction Industry
- The Missouri Bar, Construction Law Committee
- Marymount Foundation, board of directors