By Sophya Qureshi Raza
I recently had the opportunity to post “Divorce, Summer, Kids, and Vacations,” an article about dealing with children and summer vacations in families of divorce, on MacaroniKid.com. Macaronikid.com is an online community published by moms “dedicated to delivering the scoop on all the family-friendly events and activities happening in their communities each week.”
Summer vacations is families of divorce is a stressful time for parents and for children. Here are just some of the tips from the article:
- Adhere to the dates in your custody schedule regarding when you have to give notice to the other parent about vacation dates.
- Plan your vacation well ahead of time, keeping in mind that you cannot schedule your vacation around other special days where the other parent has custody, i.e. Mother’s/Father’s Day, the other parent’s birthday, etc.
- Provide the other parent with a phone number where the child(ren) can be reached while on vacation, and vice versa.
- Don’t use the children as messengers. All planning and information regarding the vacations (itineraries, changes in plans, etc.) needs to be communicated directly.
- Allow the children to be excited about the vacation with the other parent.
Click here to read the complete article.
06/7/12 12:31 PM
Filed under Children in Divorce | Comments Off