By Sophya Qureshi Raza
If you are contemplating divorce, financial advisor Lisa M. Gabriel of Axius Financial believes that there are concrete steps you can take before initiating a divorce to help lessen the turmoil of the divorce process.
The following advice is contained in her guide for clients going through a divorce:
- Educate yourself on the divorce, child custody and property/debt division laws in your state.
- Create a current inventory of all of your financial assets (real estate, investments, household goods, vehicles, retirement plans, cash and other liquid assets) whether owned jointly or separately.
- Create a list of all current debt, including creditors and amounts.
- Consider meeting with a financial advisor, such as your accountant or financial planner.
- Create a file with copies of all relevant documents relating to your situation.
- Verify the contents of any safety deposit boxes.
- If you don’t have credit in your own name, obtain and begin using your own credit card.
- Select a qualified, experienced divorce lawyer.
- Consider mediation as an option.
- Decide when, where and how you will talk with your spouse about the decision to divorce.
This is great advice for anyone considering initiating a divorce and very helpful information that should be provided to your attorney.
Posted by Attorney Sophya Qureshi Raza. Raza practices family law where she effectively guides clients through dissolution of marriage, modifications of prior judgments, and resolving child custody and paternity disputes. She also helps families with legal guardianships and conservatorships for the elderly and disabled.
04/19/12 9:34 AM
Filed under Contemplating Divorce, The Legal Process | Comments Off