Ruth A. Binger
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- J.D., DePaul University School of Law (1983), DePaul Law Review
- B.S., Northern Illinois University (1980)
Ruth’S BLOG POSTS
When Bad Guys Attack: Data Breach and Legal ExposureCyber criminals hack businesses for a myriad of reasons: to ... Read more »
Preventing Sex Discrimination: The Case for Implementing More Guard RailsOne of the hottest topics today is the accusations of some f... Read more »
Is a LinkedIn Offer to Connect a Violation of a Non-Solicitation/Anti-Raiding Agreement?Today, marketing and sales are yoked through digital channel... Read more »
Ruth Binger is the department head of Danna McKitrick’s transactional practice group which includes mergers and acquisition transactions, tax, employment, cybersecurity, banking, real estate finance, international law, securities, business and commercial law, and dispute resolution. Ruth advises family-owned and closely-held businesses and multinational companies in many industries, including manufacturing and distribution, professional services including web development and software development, transportation and retail.
Understanding that the law is a tool, Ruth uses her 20+ years of representing businesses and her 17+ years of facilitating business owner peer advisory boards to responsively and effectively recommend the most appropriate and effective legal strategy.
Corporate and Business. Guiding clients on formation, structure, governance and exit strategies, Ruth creates and reviews contracts for licensors/licensees, franchises, consulting, and joint venture agreements.
Intellectual Property and Digital Law. Ruth works in the ever-evolving arena of intellectual property and digital law. She handles trademark and copyright registration and enforcement and related transactions, including joint ventures, licensing, and corporate partnering. Ruth counsels clients on privacy, advertising and communication law with respect to social media advertising on the web.
Employment. Ruth has extensive experience in the mitigation, avoidance and resolution of employment and labor issues. Ruth provides proactive counsel and advice to her clients, including preparation of employment manuals, noncompete agreements, confidentiality agreements, employment agreements, human resource legal strategy, intellectual property protection agreements, and executive incentive plans.
PUBLICATIONS & SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Author (a sampling):
- “Best Practices for Avoiding Misleading Browsewrap and Clickwrap Agreements in Cyberspace“
- “Effect of 2015 SCOTUS Same-Sex Marriage Decision on Employment Practices“
- “Exempt Employees, Overtime, and the Proposed DOL Rule for 2016“
- “Protecting Your Intellectual Property in a Wild World“
- “Unemployment Insurance in Missouri: Should Employers Respond to Claim Notices?“
- “Common Sense Road Map to Employee Discipline and Termination“
- “Considerations for Buyer Enforcement of Non-competes in the Purchase of a Business“
- “Employee Social Media Griping: Can An Employer Terminate Employees Because of Their Social Media Posts Without Violating Section 8(a)(1) of the National Labor Relations Act“
- Co-author: “Cyber Space for Rent,” St. Louis Small Business Monthly.
- Speaker (sampling):
- “Intellectual Property Issues For Your Organization”
- “Recruiting Issues for Executives”
- “Compensation Issues for Executives”
- “The Trojan Horse of Social Media: Threats & Solutions in the IP and HR Area”
- “Social Media, IP and Employment – Permanent Records of Temporary Impulses”
- “Minefields in Employment Law”
- “What Every Supervisor Should Know: Maintaining a Legally Compliant Work Environment”
- Ruth Binger Publishes International IP Article in InterBusiness IssuesRuth Binger, corporate law attorney with Danna McKitrick, P.C., recently... Read more »
- Ruth Binger on Lack of an Exit Plan: Missouri Enterprise“Lack of an Exit Plan = Dead Company Walking,” an... Read more »
- Binger on Social Media Best Practices for Construction TradeCorporate law and digital media law attorney Ruth Binger‘s article... Read more »