Patrick J. Murphy
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Business Advisory
- Estate Planning
- Real Estate
- Tax & Accounting
- J.D., Saint Louis University School of Law (1998)
- B.S.B.A., accounting, Creighton University (1992), Sigma Alpha Epsilon, treasurer
Patrick’S BLOG POSTS
Frequently Asked Questions: Revocable Living TrustWhat is a Revocable Living Trust? A trust is an agreement th... Read more »
As a CPA and business and tax attorney, Patrick Murphy is uniquely qualified to assist small- to medium-sized businesses, restaurants, entertainment venues, not-for-profit entities, and families. Clients rely on him to apply his combination of accountancy and legal experience as he helps them consider their situations and needs.
Business. Patrick’s corporate work involves mergers and acquisitions, buy/sell agreements, entity formation and structuring, shareholder agreements and disputes, real estate transactions, and other complex situations. He helps companies as an on-call resource, or with their day-to-day business dealings in the role of general counsel.
Families & Individuals. For families and individuals, particularly those who own businesses, Patrick provides general legal and financial advice. When families are ready to protect their assets, whether simple or complex, he helps them adopt wealth preservation strategies through tax and estate planning, and establishing trusts. And when the time comes, he assists with trust administration.
Charitable Organizations. Counseling trustees and directors, Patrick advises on transactional, fiduciary, and tax matters. He educates board members to help protect them, and the organization, regarding rights, responsibilities, liabilities, and governance issues. He also handles the formation of tax-exempt entities and foundations.
Patrick’s insights help people make sound business and personal decisions. Below are some situations in which his counsel has been instrumental:
- Formed and maintained hundreds of privately-held businesses from sole proprietorships to 100+ employee organizations.
- Administered estates with values between $100K and $20M.
- Acted as general counsel for businesses with sales ranging form $1M to $40M handling all of their legal needs.
- Obtained federal and state tax exemption status for 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(6) non-profit organizations—assisting in all aspects of their missions.
Prior to joining Danna McKitrick, Patrick was in private practice for several years. While in public accounting, he honed his financial and advisory skills working with two local CPA firms and a global Big Four accounting firm.
- Graduate of Leadership Clayton, 2007
- LoveU2Pieces, board member
- Giving is a Family Tradition (GiFT)
- Saint Louis University Planned Giving Council
- Attorney Patrick Murphy on Estate Planning, Legal Issues for Same-Sex Couples in MissouriPatrick Murphy, estate planning attorney with Danna McKitrick, tackles legal... Read more »
- Patrick Murphy Discusses the IRS Email Scandal and Record Retention PoliciesWith the IRS at the center of an email controversy... Read more »
- Murphy and Watson on Travel and Your Legal AffairsAttorneys Patrick J. Murphy and Misty A. Watson were featured... Read more »