- J.D., Washington University School of Law (1992)
- B.A., cum laude, European Studies focus on Soviet Union, Vanderbilt University (1988)
- IADC Trial Academy, Stanford Law School, California (2009)
- MODL Trial Academy (1996)
Laura’S BLOG POSTS
“Motivating Factor” Standard Replaces “Contributory Factor”Over the past decade, Missouri has been viewed as a plaintif... Read more »
Working From Home as a Reasonable Accommodation Under the ADA: Credeur v. State of LouisianaCo-authored by Laura Gerdes Long and Katherine M. Flett In t... Read more »
Laura Gerdes Long concentrates her practice on defending casualty and professional liability claims as well as consulting on and litigating, where necessary, employment and health care matters.
Insurance. For insurance companies and their insureds, Laura routinely litigates matters related to auto accidents, legal malpractice, and complex coverage issues arising from first- and third-party claims. She applies her mediation and direct negotiation skills to resolve matters wherever possible.
HIPAA. Heavily involved with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) since its implementation, Laura is sought after as a speaker, trainer, and consulting advisor regarding HIPAA’s effect on health care providers, employers, and municipalities. For over two years, she served the City of St. Louis as an independent contract lawyer on HIPAA compliance issues.
Health Care. For doctors, nurses, psychologists, and other health care professionals, Laura consults on licensing, disciplinary issues, and loss or restriction of hospital privileges.
Employment. Laura is knowledgeable in employment law polices and best practices, including the privacy and security requirements under HIPAA. Her litigation experience includes defending numerous discrimination cases, whistleblower and retaliation claims, and EEOC investigations. She also consults preventatively to help employers guard against the threat of suits.
Laura has briefed and argued cases before the Missouri Court of Appeals, Eastern District, and the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals. She formerly served as prosecutor and assistant city attorney for various municipalities in St. Louis County.
PUBLICATIONS & SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- “New Tools Available with Respect to Wellness, HIPAA and FLSA Compensation Issues,” Associated Industries of Missouri
- “HIPAA Privacy Regulations,” Missouri Association of Counties, Missouri Municipal Attorneys’ Association, Missouri City Clerks and Finance Officers’ Association
- “HIPAA Panel Discussion,” Missouri Paralegal Association
- “Medical Records Law,” Lorman Resources for Nursing Seminar (Apr 2013, Jan 2012)
- “Contemplating Death or Disability: The Professional Will for the Psychologist,” St. Louis Psychological Association (Apr 2012)
- “Medical Records Law in Missouri,” Lorman Education Services Continuing Education Seminar (Oct 2014; CD & Reference Manual)
- “HIPAA, HITECH, and Sharing Information,” a webinar for the National Health Care Anti-Fraud Association (NHCAA) Behavioral Health Interest Group
- “Untangling Legal Responsibilities and Patient Well-Being: Knowledge and Tools to Guide the Mental Health Practitioner,” Care and Counseling, Inc. (Oct 2011; Part Two – May 2012); St. Louis Psychological Association (Feb 2011)
- “Protecting Electronic Medical Records Under the New Health Care Act,” KTVI Fox2 News with Elliot Weiler and Kim Hudson.
- Ramifications to Mizzou of Swimmer Sasha Manu Corey’s rape and suicide case: The Charlie Brennan Show, KMOX NewsRadio 1120, and Press Box with Frank Cusumano on CBS Sports Radio 920
- Greater St. Louis Mothers of Twins Club
- Walter's Walk, a 501(3)(c) corporation
- The Missouri Bar/Missouri Judicial Conference Annual Meeting Planning Committee (2012)
- City of Ladue, Missouri, Zoning Board of Adjustment
- Advice to New Law School Grads from Laura Long and Misty WatsonTwo attorneys from Danna McKitrick – Laura Gerdes Long and... Read more »
- Attorney Laura Long on the Mizzou Tragedy and Patient Privacy and ConfidentialityLaura Gerdes LongAttorney at Law Laura Gerdes Long, health care attorney... Read more »
- Laura Gerdes Long on Protecting Electronic Medical Records Under the New Health Care ActAttorney Laura Gerdes Long discusses electronic medical records, privacy, and... Read more »